Reply To: Summer book club

May 11, 2016 at 6:16 pm #9331

Looks like a great list majackson!

“It seems a little overwhelming to me for a first time book club pick”

Actually some of our club members thought this at first so picked up a copy and started reading before committing. They have freely admitted once they started they couldn’t put it down. I should note, about 1/3 of our members were in our Charlotte Mason Principle Study and said after reading A Philosophy of Education, Anna Karenina was a cake walk 🙂 …I haven’t seriously started yet, but really need to get my rear in gear!

I read Deconstructing Penguins last year. It gave me the extra push I needed to start a 5th/6th grade book club involving two of our kiddos this year. We met once a month for seven months. It was fabulous!! You can see our book choices here…

http://reflectionsfromdrywoodcreek.blogspot.com/search/label/Socratic%20Book%20Club

We also plan to read The Green Ember this summer as a family read aloud and possibly The Yearling, I’m still trying to decide.

Some other things on my personal summer reading list are:

Consider This by Karen Glass (IN PROGRESS FOR OVER A YEAR! I’ll more than likely have to go back and review.)
The Liberal Arts Tradition by Kevin Clark and Ravi Jain
Classical Education, The Movement Sweeping America by Dr. Gene Edward Veith, Jr. and Andrew Kern (IN PROGRESS)
The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck (This will actually be a re-read from high school)