Hi all!

/ Forums / . Introductions / Hi all!

• Author

My name is Megen. I’m a homeschooling mom of two: boy (6) and girl (4). We are just starting to define our homeschooling journey, but right now I’d call it eclectic Classical with a dash of Charlotte Mason. My husband’s career has us transient for the next few years and I’m a global nomad myself, but I consider the Rockies (Montana, Colorado) home. We are hoping to settle in the North East eventually. I was a secondary History and Political Science teacher by training, but fell in love with homeschooling as I became more and more disillusioned with public education which happened VERY early in my career. Schole has really filled a hole for me that I was not able to name or articulate before, so I’m really looking forward to growing together with all of you.

• May 17, 2016 at 4:38 am #10387

Hey, Megen! Fancy meeting you here!

I was a Secondary Social Studies Ed major, too. But, I never actually taught.

• May 17, 2016 at 4:38 am #10462

Fancy that, Dawn! 😉 I was happy to see you on here too.

I never really ended up “teaching” either, outside of my student teaching and some substituting, but I did work in various schools for several years after I finished. I did a lot of work in alternative education and special ed, which left me very jaded with the school system. It was just heart breaking to see how many of my students were intelligent and capable, but hated school so much because learning had been ruined for them or who had needs that were so great, but couldn’t be met by a single teacher who was trying to manage dozens of other students. Then all the nonsense with the testing… It was depressing and something I never wanted for my own children. It is so sad too, because I love my content area and genuinely enjoyed my students. It has given me a lot of purpose in homeschooling though, so I can honestly say that I don’t feel that my time was wasted. I am thankful for that.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.