May Commonplace Favorites?

/ Forums / Find Your Virtual Sisters / Chit-Chat / May Commonplace Favorites?

Tagged: 

• Author

Okay, so I thought this would be a fun monthly tradition (if only I can always remember it). Use this thread to share your favorite commonplace book entry from this past month.

I’ll come back and share mine later…after I find my missing commonplace. 😉

• June 1, 2016 at 9:18 am #12486

… how little we marvel at God, and therefore find it so natural to look for His presence, whereas in reality we ought shyly, hoping for the impossible, ask God to transform, to convert us, before we hope find ourselves in His awesome presence, since every encounter with God, to a greater or lesser degree, is already the last judgement: to find oneself face to face with the living God is something of grave, of fateful consequence.

That’s from Meditations: A Spiritual Journey Through the Parables by Metropolitan Anthony Bloom. He has an amazing way of writing about prayer and spiritual things which leaves me really longing to deepen my prayer life.

• June 1, 2016 at 9:18 am #12591

“… every encounter with God … is already the last judgement”

YIKES! But rings true as well — we so easily lose fear (the healthy kind of fear) when we think of God casually. I was thinking about this the other day, actually…

• June 1, 2016 at 9:18 am #12577

Okay, here’s mine. It’s from God at Work by Gene Veith.

[A] calling comes from outside the self. In the church, pastors are called by congregations; that is, their divine call comes to them through the workings of the church as a whole, which selects them, trains them, and ordains them into the ministry. …

[I]n our earthly vocations we must attend to how God is calling us through other people and through the ordinary circumstances of life. …

[O]ur vocation is already here, where we are and what we are doing right now. (pp. 56-57)

• June 1, 2016 at 9:18 am #12589

“Our vocation is already here…” Wow! I love that!

• June 1, 2016 at 9:18 am #12704

I love this idea so much and never get tired of copying something down, even for the second time!

The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted. That is why the first event is known to have been an expulsion, and the last is hoped to be a reconciliation and return. –Marilynne Robinson, Home

As he hurried along, eagerly anticipating the moment when he would be at home again among the things he knew and liked, the Mole saw clearly that he was an animal of tilled field and hedgerow, linked to the plowed furrow, the frequented pasture, the lane of evening lingerings, the cultivated garden-plot. For others the asperities, the stubborn endurance, or the clash of actual conflict, that went with Nature in the rough; he must be wise, must keep to the pleasant places in which his lines were laid and which held adventure enough, in their way, to last for a lifetime. —The Wind in the Willows

The Enemy [God] loves platitudes. Of a proposed course of action He wants men, so far as I can see, to ask very simple questions; is it righteous? is it prudent? is it possible? Now if we can keep men asking ‘Is it in accordance with the general movement of our time? Is it progressive or reactionary? Is this the way that History is going?’ they will neglect the relevant questions. –C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

• June 1, 2016 at 9:18 am #12730

*Sigh* I love The Wind in the Willows. 🙂

• June 1, 2016 at 9:18 am #13376

Do you know I have *never* read The Screwtape Letters? Every time I see a quote from it, I think, “Goodness. I really should read that book!”

Loved all three of your quotess. 🙂

• June 1, 2016 at 9:18 am #13577

Definitely read it, Brandy! It’s really quite short and, of course, very pertinent to our time.

• June 1, 2016 at 9:18 am #13445

“The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and science. He who does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer feel amazement, is as good as dead, a snuffed-out candle.”
      -Albert Einstein

“The evil habit of seeking God-AND effectively prevents us from finding God in full revelation. In the ‘and’ lies our great woe. If we omit the ‘and’ we shall soon find God, and in Him we shall find that for which we have all our lives been secretly longing.”
      -A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God

“Hundreds of broad short-stemmed oaks, which had witnessed perhaps the stately march of the Roman soldiery, had flung their gnarled arms over a think carpet of the most delicious green sward, in some places they were intermingled with beeches, hollies, and copsewood of various descriptions, so closely as totally to intercept the level beams of the sinking sun; in others they receded from each other, forming those long sweeping vistas, in the intricacy of which the eye delights to lose itself, while imagination considers them as the paths to yet wilder scenes of sylvan solitude.”
      -Walter Scott, Ivanhoe ch. 1

• June 1, 2016 at 9:18 am #13578

That Ivanhoe quote is one for the nature notebook, right?! “Sylvan solitude” sounds like an ideal scenario to me. Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

• June 1, 2016 at 9:18 am #14782

I would love to know where the Einstein quote came from — it’s wonderful! (Of course, they all are…)

• June 1, 2016 at 9:18 am #14824

I don’t know where the Einstein quote originally came from. I read it in The Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.