Summer book club

• Author

I would love to join a summer online book club if anyone is hosting one… I have never been a part of a book club and would greatly enjoy the opportunity.

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #8543

Me too!

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #8550

Me three 🙂

I don’t know of any being hosted but we could decide on a book here and just go ahead with it that way. What sort of book would everyone like to read?

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #8591

We’re just beginning Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy with our local Schole group, but we could totally discuss it here as well if others are interested. Andrew Pudewa said it was the single greatest novel ever written 🙂

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #9308

I recently listened to the podcast entitled, “We Dare You to Read the Classics,” so I hesitate to say this… HA HA… BUT…. I am very intimidated by Anna Karenina…. It seems a little overwhelming to me for a first time book club pick… I could be wrong though… 🙂

These are titles that are on my “to read” list. Please add any that you are considering reading this summer…

The Question by Leigh Bortins
      The Peacemaker by Ken Sande
      Raising Kids Who Read by Daniel Willingham (IN PROGRESS)
      Deconstructing Penguins by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone (IN PROGRESS)
      The Green Ember by S.D. Smith
      Caught Up in a Story: Fostering a Storyformed Life of Great Books & Imagination with Your Children by Sarah Clarkson

I don’t usually know where to start when it comes to fiction books. They are slim on the list… 🙂

I would love to hear what everyone else likes to read.

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #9331

Looks like a great list majackson!

“It seems a little overwhelming to me for a first time book club pick”

Actually some of our club members thought this at first so picked up a copy and started reading before committing. They have freely admitted once they started they couldn’t put it down. I should note, about 1/3 of our members were in our Charlotte Mason Principle Study and said after reading A Philosophy of Education, Anna Karenina was a cake walk 🙂 …I haven’t seriously started yet, but really need to get my rear in gear!

I read Deconstructing Penguins last year. It gave me the extra push I needed to start a 5th/6th grade book club involving two of our kiddos this year. We met once a month for seven months. It was fabulous!! You can see our book choices here…

http://reflectionsfromdrywoodcreek.blogspot.com/search/label/Socratic%20Book%20Club

We also plan to read The Green Ember this summer as a family read aloud and possibly The Yearling, I’m still trying to decide.

Some other things on my personal summer reading list are:

Consider This by Karen Glass (IN PROGRESS FOR OVER A YEAR! I’ll more than likely have to go back and review.)
      The Liberal Arts Tradition by Kevin Clark and Ravi Jain
      Classical Education, The Movement Sweeping America by Dr. Gene Edward Veith, Jr. and Andrew Kern (IN PROGRESS)
      The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck (This will actually be a re-read from high school)

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #9629

I’m working through Consider This too! I also want to study Julius Caesar this summer.

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #9335

You all have some great reading lined up! I am in an unusual place in that I’m not sure what to read next! I have a long list of books I’d like to read, but nothing that’s really inspiring me to go pick it up if you know what I mean.

I read Anna Karenina a couple years ago and I have to say that I really loved it. Possibly one of the best books I’ve ever read. It’s beautiful and tragic and full of despair and full of hope all at the same time. I didn’t find it hard to read but there is definitely SO much to discuss. I look forward to reading it again if that’s what we decide on here!

I am also open to any other books although I don’t have any suggestions – I just keep drawing a blank.

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #9338

I just looked at my bookshelf after I posted and realized that one book sitting there is one I haven’t read but would really like to – A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Thought I’d throw that out there as a possibility 🙂

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #9549

I think a summer book club is a great idea! Here’s what I was considering over the summer:
      Beauty in the Word by Stratford Caldecott
      Little Dorrit (In progress)
      Lark Rise to Candleford (Once I finish Little Dorrit)
      The Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling (In progress, but not by much)

In looking over other people’s lists, I’m particularly interested in:
      The Liberal Arts Tradition by Kevin Clark and Ravi Jain
      A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
      Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

I’m planning on starting a online video/voice discussion for Brandy’s 20 Principles Study – I’m hoping to start the meetings for that in June. (If you’ve listened to the recent Scholé Sisters podcast you’ll know what I’m talking about!) And if you’re interested in this, let me know!

Also, if anyone is interested in doing an online video/voice discussion for this summer book club I think that would be great. I’d be happy to coordinate it and set up the meetings. We could also do a hybrid option with some discussion here, and a monthly discussion meeting. That way if we have something we want to share we can do it right away and not forget… or maybe that’s just me. 😉

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #9620

I would like to participate in the 20 principles study.

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #9624

There are so many delightful books I hope to read that I had to make a book priority spreadsheet to bring some order to the list. I get into a pattern of only reading on a specific topic – marriage, parenting, etc – instead of a balanced, well rounded rotation otherwise.

Some I have waiting on the shelf are:
      Deconstructing penguins

The life giving home by Sally Clarkson

The Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola

The Great Divorce by C S Lewis

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #9731

Wow, lots of great suggestions for summer reading! I have a nursing infant, so I have lots of reading time right now. 😉 On my list is Consider This, The Liberal Arts Tradition, and Brandy’s book, Start Here. So I’m definitely interested in the 20 principles study, Amber.

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #9905

So as to not spend the whole summer talking about what book we would like to read over the summer, I thought I’d put together a survey to help us to narrow down to just a few. 🙂 I copied and pasted each book that we’ve mentioned in the course of this thread.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HTQKPND

In the survey you can give each book that has been mentioned a ranking of 1 – 5, with 1 being a book you aren’t that interested in reading with a group, and 5 being a book you’d really like to read as a group. And if you feel somewhere in between about the book, that’s fine too! I’m hoping that this will help just a few books float to the top and then we can do a straight “What’s your favorite” to come up with a choice.

In order to keep moving forward, let’s close this survey on the 23rd and then we can do our final survey from the 24th to the 31st.

Amber

P.S. Can you tell I’m an eldest child and an INTJ to boot? LOL

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #9934

Wow! Talk about mad organizational skills! 😉 Thanks for setting up the survey. I’m off to go take it now…

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #9948

Yay for oldest-child INTJs! Every group needs one, in my not-very-humble (i.e. INTJ) opinion.

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #10209

I filled it out. But my track record for book groups is *terrible.* We’ll see.

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #9911

That’s a great idea AmberVanderpol. Thanks for taking the initiative! I am thankful to have an opportunity to be a part of a book club! It is something I have wanted to do for a while. 🙂

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #10242

We have 9 responses so far, which is great! There’s a couple of books that are leading the pack, but I don’t want to create a confirmation bias by naming names. 🙂

For those of you who are interested in a study of Charlotte Mason’s 20 Principles, I have a post and sign up form all ready to go – http://flareoflight.blogspot.com/2016/05/charlotte-masons-20-principles-live.html.

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #10754

Filled out the survey 🙂 – (Oldest child (of 8) and INTJ here too! To paraphrase Anne Shirley: “INTJs are not so scarce as I used to think. It’s splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.”)

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #10821

Just filled out the survey too, thanks for putting that together Amber!

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #11322

Thank you to everyone who voted!

I have created a survey with the top three, please take a look and vote for which one you would most like to read for the Scholé Sisters Summer Book Group.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/V66N555

I’ll leave this survey open until mid-day on May 31st.

Thanks again!

Amber

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #11782

I just took a peek at the survey results and more people need to vote because right now we have a 3-way tie! If it stays that way, does that mean we’ll be reading all three this summer? Eek! 🙂

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #12576

Can I have a drumroll please?

And the winner is…

The Liberal Arts Tradition!

At the moment I only have the ebook version, which makes it a little hard to try and get a sense for how long the various sections are. Anyone seen a useful reading schedule for this book or have any suggestions about how to divvy it up?

-Amber

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #12606

Yay! I’ve been wanting to read this since Brandy blogged through it. I only have the Kindle version, too.

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #12607

Hello, I am new here….
      I have the Kindle copy of the Liberal Arts Tradition. I read it last year but I would definitely enjoy going through it with a group this summer.

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #12709

How soon will we be starting? I need to order mine.

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #12741

Well, I think we should get started in June. I started flipping through the book, trying to think about how we could divide it up and my Charlotte Mason slow reading self started having palpitations. 🙂

As a first pass, what about:

June Sections:
      Introductory materials
      The Paradigm of the Liberal Arts Tradition
      Piety
      Gymnastic and Music
      The Seven Liberal Arts

July Sections:
      Liberal Arts: Trivium
      Liberal Arts: Quadrivium

August Sections:
      Philosophy
      Theology
      Culture, Calling, Curriculum
      Appendices

I think this works well logically, but it makes August’s readings rather heavy. But the Philosophy section is very long, so I don’t think it should be grouped with July. I could see moving the Culture, Calling, Curriculum and Appendices to September, but then it is rather stretching the definition of a summer book club, isn’t it!

I was thinking we could schedule a time to talk via zoom about each section sometime in the last few days of each month for those who are interested in doing so.

Any thoughts?

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #12805

I think this looks good, Amber, and I agree we should start soon. We can see how it goes by August, and whether we want to extend it a bit into September. I love the idea of a chat once a month.

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #13449

This sounds great! I am going through this book this summer with the “Bringing Schole to your School and Homeschool” class with Classical Academic Press too, so I’m sure some extra conversation will be perfect:)

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #13451

This sounds so fun! Is the ebook format friendly or should I order a hardcopy? I’m looking forward to getting started!

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #13725

I think the ebook is well formatted and should be fine. I decided to get the physical book so I can read it outside a little more easily… and I also find it easier to work with a physical book when I’m trying to discuss it.

Today is our last day of school, and I’m going to start in on the book next week. I’m looking forward to it!

Amber

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #14677

Looking forward to this! This book has been on my “to read” list for awhile.

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #14785

I would love to participate in discussing this book!

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #14986

So… how are people doing? Anyone reading yet? I have to admit that I haven’t even managed to start yet – gulp! This weekend, I hope!

Anyone want to start a new thread and get the discussion ball rolling?

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #15002

I am in the same boat with starting too, Amber. Picking up my book tomorrow! I am in for the discussion. Anyone else??

• May 8, 2016 at 4:02 pm #15004

I’m just barely starting chapter one (and am loving this book already!). Looking forward to the discussion!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.