Summer Reading Lists?

/ Forums / Teaching from & with Scholé / Ways to scholé / Summer Reading Lists?

Tagged: 

• Author

So I’ve shared a couple summer reading lists online lately (here and here). What I want to know is: what are YOU reading this summer? How do you go about your reading?

• June 1, 2016 at 9:23 am #12485

Great question! I am in a bit of a reading slump currently, which is very unusual for me. By that I mean that I usually always have at least one or two books that I’m really excited to pick up whenever I have some free time. Right now though, while I have several books going, I’m not really inspired to pick up any of them very often, even though they’re all excellent. I just finished C.S. Lewis’s Till We Have Faces (which was great!), and these are the rest of my current stack:

Meditations: A Spiritual Journey Through the Parables by Anthony Bloom
      Charlotte Mason Volume 6
      Don Quixote
      The Little Prince
      Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka
      10 Habits of Happy Mothers by Meg Meeker

• June 1, 2016 at 9:23 am #12488

Oh, I love your list! I have never read Till We Have Faces — at this point, I’m probably just saving it to read with my oldest in 12th grade!

The Little Prince is one of my favorites — I didn’t read it until I was in my 20s and it was just lovely. ♥

• June 1, 2016 at 9:23 am #12703

I think at this point, I am really gunning to just FINISH some books. Currently reading…

Vocation: Norms and Nobility
      Faith: The Screwtape Letters, Generous Justice by Tim Keller
      Fiction: The Last Battle, I’m also in between two books in a series that some on this forum might enjoy about the “wild west”. They’re called Doc and Epitaph by Mary Doria Russell; a very interesting female perspective on that time period and also rife with classical allusions (good bedtime reading)
      Whim: The Life You Save May Be Your Own: An American Pilgrimage (about D. Day, T. Merton, F. O’Conner and W. Percy and “the Catholic moment”)

I am kind of obsessed with the idea of reading Ourselves, but it will be my first CM volume. Is that a weird place to start? I have already learned so much about the way of the will through others’ writing about Charlotte, and I’d love to get it first-hand. I know Katie H is blogging through it right now.

• June 1, 2016 at 9:23 am #13149

Ourselves is a WONDERFUL book — I think you will love it. It’s not like anything else she wrote, but it is certainly food for thought on every page! ♥

• June 1, 2016 at 9:23 am #14822

Megan, I love how you have your reads categorized! I may have to steal that for myself:)

This summer I am taking the “Bringing Schole to Your School and Homeschool” course with Dr. Perrin through Classical Academic Press…so for that class we are reading:
        The Liberal Arts Tradition
        Only the Lover Sings by Josef Pieper

Also reading…
        Following along with the 20 Principles study on the Ambleside Online forum

And…following along with my oldest son’s year 7 reading for Ambleside online, so that includes:
        The Birth of Britain
        The Pursuit of God
        Joan of Arc by Mark Twain
        In Freedom’s Cause by Henty
        The Brendan Voyage
        Idylls of the King (VERY slowly!)
        The Age of Chivalry
        Ivanhoe
        Fearfully and Wonderfully Made
        The History of English Literature for Girls and Boys (SUCH a delightful book!)

I know this looks like a TON of reading, but most of these books are spread over the course of the whole year! And I am only going really in depth with a few of them, the others I just want to preview and be able to have some kind of coherent discussion about them with my son as he reads them. As much as I would love to really dive into them all, there simply isn’t enough time!

Does anyone have suggestions for something a little “lighter”, maybe something quick and fun, while still worthwhile? We are doing a couple camping trips this summer and I’d love to take a break from all the “formal” reading!

• June 1, 2016 at 9:23 am #14837

Can I just say that I LOVE AO year 7? My favorite year so far, and I think it’ll be my favorite ever because my second favorite is Year 3 (same time period). ♥

Does anyone have suggestions for something a little “lighter”, maybe something quick and fun, while still worthwhile?

My first thought was Ella Minnow Pea. It is one of my favorite little novels…

• June 1, 2016 at 9:23 am #15174

For some reason I didn’t see your reply until now, so thank you for the book suggestion! I have not read Ella Minnow Pea! This is our first year truly doing AO. I have a y7,6,1, and 0 🙂 I am reading along with the y7 books…not enough time to read all the y6 too! So I don’t really have anything to compare to, but I am really enjoying the y7 books as well!

• June 1, 2016 at 9:23 am #14838

Jill, I’m pretty sure I got the categories from Mystie. For camping reading, have you read A Room With a View or Persuasion? I love both of those and they’re pretty quick reads. Where do you guys like to camp?

• June 1, 2016 at 9:23 am #14892

I love Persuasion! But I have not read A Room With a View, so I will check that out! We love Hoffmaster State Park near Grand Haven. Our whole (extended) family goes there for a week every summer…like 60-70 of us:) We just got an RV this year though instead of our pop-up, so we are hoping to do some smaller trips with just our family. And I am desperately hoping to spend a week at McLain SP up in the Keewenaw in September, but I’m not sure if that’s going to happen. Do you have any favorite spots?

• June 1, 2016 at 9:23 am #14933

I camped/backpacked a lot up north when I was single, but as a family, we are novices. So far we’ve only ever camped one night at the Holly State Rec Area (your neck of the woods?).

• June 1, 2016 at 9:23 am #15211

I like the “whim” category. 🙂

• June 1, 2016 at 9:23 am #14783

The Grapes of Wrath! I have tried to read it a couple times … I have never succeeded. This is especially sad because some of my family actually lived in those camps, and we still drive by some of the old locations regularly.

Anyhow, your list is fantastic!

• June 1, 2016 at 9:23 am #15096

I have made great headway with my summer reading. So far I have finished Awakening Wonder by Stephen Turley, Ideas Have Consequences by R.C.Sproul, Freckles by Gene Stratton Porter and A Listening Life by Adam McHugh.

I put my reading in categories to balance things out. I am currently reading: For theology–The Creed in Slow Motion by Rev. Ronald Knox, for philosophy–Ideas Have Consequences, for spiritual growth–Finding God in the Ruins by Matt Bays, pre–reading AO yr. 12–Fighting Terrorism by Benjamin Netanyahu, 10 Books that Screwed Up the World by Benjamin Wiker, classics– A Tale of Two Cities. Wow! That looks like a crazy list but I read 2 or 3 pages a day from each book and I am able to move along at a steady pace.

For me, my favourite AO years are 7 and 12.

• June 1, 2016 at 9:23 am #15212

I love your list, Julia. I still need to finish Awakening Wonder, but so far it is wonderful. I like your categories!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.